Q’s about tortoise injury

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Last Sunday I had a houseguest who unknowingly put one of my tortoises into another tortoise’s enclosure. I only found out after they’d had all day to fight. Poor Diego lost the fight and has several wounds on his front legs and one on his face. They aren't terrible and I know tortoises are tough and he’ll be ok. I’m soaking him, keeping him clean and applying neosporin.
Most of his head and his front legs have turned very dark, nearly black. This has happened before when he had a wound. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it bruising? Blood under the scales? Is this common? Just curious.
Also since I'm already asking… today during his soak he had a lot of urates and they were streaked with green. That’s a new one for me. Anyone know what that is about? IMG_8424.jpeg

IMG_8425.jpegIMG_8426.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww, poor fella. I'm glad you figured it out what had happened. Never let guest put your tortoises away I guess is a lesson to.
I don't know why he has darkened. Maybe a street thing.
@Yvonne G maybe knows?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What a shame and glad you managed to separate. The care you providing should be good. You need to avoid a fly laying eggs on the open wound, so soaks and creams required. Provide fresh food and water and hopefully it will recover from the shock/attack. I search previous posts for green urates and it is a thing, so I think ok. Just let you tortoise drink when soaking do it hydrates. Monitor it closely and hope it recovers.