Radiated Tortoise pattern split

LEO037

Just wonder is there any way to prevent patterns (the yellow lines) on rad's shell from splitting? or is it determined by genetic solely? I found rad with more yellow pattern tend to have splitting patterns as they grow.
Thanks

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
Not unusual for yellow banding to fade over time depending on how thick the banding is. The thicker the banding the less likely the pattern will fade. Not every Rad looks the same as an adult as it did as a juvenile.Radiated Z-U 8-3-13.JPG arizona male.jpg Here is an example of a juvie with a lot of yellow, that has splintered off into thin bands. Still a super nice animal but the pattern changed a lot as it grew up. Currently over 10"

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Split scutes are possibly genetic vs incubation temperature. Some claim that higher incubation techniques will potentially yield more females however, there is the possibility of split scutes, extra scutes and other defects related to temp. I have seen males with extra scutes, so not totally temperature.

LEO037

Not unusual for yellow banding to fade over time depending on how thick the banding is. The thicker the banding the less likely the pattern will fade. Not every Rad looks the same as an adult as it did as a juvenile.View attachment 207192 View attachment 207193 Here is an example of a juvie with a lot of yellow, that has splintered off into thin bands. Still a super nice animal but the pattern changed a lot as it grew up. Currently over 10"
Thanks, your picture is good example of what my problem is. As the animal grow, some thick yellow band split into two or even fade. However, why thicker the banding the less likely the pattern will split/fade? Is there any way to intervene the process?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
2346 1 year old.jpg older443female.jpg Here is another Radiated Tortoise photo 4 years apart. You can clearly see that the banding started out thick and is still thick and beautiful. One of my prettiest females. You can not prevent banding from thinning. You can purchase offspring with proven track record to keep the banding thick if it already is. Understand the blood line in question and it will likely be consistent with the offspring ( most of the time)

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
It's luck of the draw. Bloodlines seem to play a large part into it. Sometimes an animal can just explode with color.

The lines splitting- I can't imagine that there is anything that can be done to prevent it.

LEO037

View attachment 207207 View attachment 207208 Here is another Radiated Tortoise photo 4 years apart. You can clearly see that the banding started out thick and is still thick and beautiful. One of my prettiest females. You can not prevent banding from thinning. You can purchase offspring with proven track record to keep the banding thick if it already is. Understand the blood line in question and it will likely be consistent with the offspring ( most of the time)
I really need to buy some rads from you, haha.

Emily Oliveira

Split scutes are possibly genetic vs incubation temperature. Some claim that higher incubation techniques will potentially yield more females however, there is the possibility of split scutes, extra scutes and other defects related to temp. I have seen males with extra scutes, so not totally temperature.
excellent point!!!! I had not even thought about that!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Nothing in life is a guarantee, just enjoy other aspects like skin and head color. Most immortally though is personality, right?!?! Anyhow nothing you can do to change mother nature in this case.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!

I have two males with split scutes. At the moment, of my four radiateds, I have two males, they have both ‘showed.’ They both have minor scute deformities. They are also the biggest of my rads.

The other two radiateds appear to be females. All four are roughly the same age. But I’m waiting to see!