Russian tortoise shell peeled now leg bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmer

5 Year Member
Hello, My 25 year old Russian tortoise has had some shell peeling problems. Now the smooth part of the plastron under his neck has peeled and it is rough right under his right arm. He was in his outside enclosure and when I brought him in tonight I found that there is an abrasion and he some blood from his right leg.

We cleaned it and put on antibiotic cream. We tried to find some tape that would stick over the rough part but none of it would stay. He was starting to get stressed and so I put him in a large plastic box with newspaper. There is a heat lamp with an infrared bulb on to keep it above 70 degrees.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there tape or something else that will work to cover the rough part? I will be able to take him to a tortoise vet on Saturday.

Usually he is outside in an 8 x 10 foot pen. He does try to climb out all the time and I think that may be the reason for the rubbed wound. I don't know what is going on with his shell though. There are a few other places on the carapace where it seems that the top layer of the shell has peeled off and it is sort of rougher underneath.

I won't have pictures until tomorrow. Need the daylight to get better ones.
My name is Kim and I live in Southern California.

Thanks for your help.
Kim

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Could it be the same issue he was having before? Possibly some critter getting at him, either at night or during the day when you are not around? I'm not sure he'd be able to do those things to his shell by himself. Of course pictures would help, so maybe we can figure out better answers when we see him.

Poor guy. :( I help everything goes well for you guys.

kimmer

5 Year Member
Hey Katie,
Thanks for the reply. He was much improved this morning. I guess you must be right about the critters. Since it happens during daylight it seems most likely (to me) that it is a bird or birds that are annoying. I have already taken more steps to secure the pen and am on my way again to the Home Depot. Thank you for your help.
Kim

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Could he be rubbing against something? a bird or critter would leave a bite, slash, peck, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.