Russian's Outdoor Habitat

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
I dug this two summers ago; about 9 x 4. Digger loves it and hisses at me when I bring him in at night. I planted bell peppers and squash - not up yet. There is a lot of dandelion, hen & chicks and kale. I bring him in at night and watch his weight feeding him when he comes in. The triple layer cinder blocks are set in the ground and the pit is lined with heavy pond plastic with dirt, mulch and plants on top. He has a log top left that does not show in the picture. He spends a lot of time running the perimeter and goes through the water every time he passes it.IMG_0255.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could add a lockable hide box for him to sleep in at night. You also don't really need to watch his weight. A tortoise with enough room and proper diet doesn't really get fat

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I dug this two summers ago; about 9 x 4. Digger loves it and hisses at me when I bring him in at night. I planted bell peppers and squash - not up yet. There is a lot of dandelion, hen & chicks and kale. I bring him in at night and watch his weight feeding him when he comes in. The triple layer cinder blocks are set in the ground and the pit is lined with heavy pond plastic with dirt, mulch and plants on top. He has a log top left that does not show in the picture. He spends a lot of time running the perimeter and goes through the water every time he passes it.View attachment 344729
What a great enclosure!

Kintamom

Falls, PA
I dug this two summers ago; about 9 x 4. Digger loves it and hisses at me when I bring him in at night. I planted bell peppers and squash - not up yet. There is a lot of dandelion, hen & chicks and kale. I bring him in at night and watch his weight feeding him when he comes in. The triple layer cinder blocks are set in the ground and the pit is lined with heavy pond plastic with dirt, mulch and plants on top. He has a log top left that does not show in the picture. He spends a lot of time running the perimeter and goes through the water every time he passes it.View attachment 344729
B
What a great enclosure!
Beautiful!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Wellington,
A lock box is a great idea; thank you. I only watch his weight because he gets ravinous in Oklahoma heat July and August and sometimes the plants in his enclosure dry up or get choked out by squash vines.
Thanks for the good comments; I put out a lot of sweat for this habitat.