Sick Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

5 Year Member
Hello. I just got my baby russian tortoise for almost a month now. I was told that she's 4 months old now and I'm assuming she's a female but of course I don't know for sure until she gets older but it'll be easier to say than "it". I named her Luna...so hopefully she stays a girl, from the way she looks, if not than I'll have to change it to Titto or Bulbasaur.

She's been having RI for a few weeks now and is not getting better. The vet have prescribed baytril orally every other day but I'm having difficulty giving it to her when it's wet. I tried different ways to trick her into eating it by putting another leaf on top or letting it dry and and sneak it in her bite as she eats other leafs, but she's catching on pretty well. The 7th medicine I gave her today she didn't eat it...took me almost an hour trying to give it to her but the medicine had dried out and the leaf started to dry to so I couldn't give it to her anymore. Is there other ways to make her get better as I successfully and unsuccesfully give her the medicine? It makes me sad to see that her health isn't getting any better =( She started with nose bubbles and gasp when I took her to the vet. Now during the two weeks, she has begin to make chirping sounds?? And her mouth bubbles. Today she puked out her food when I was soaking her. It was all partial leaves and bubbles.

Her home is made out of wood with coconut fiber substrate. I also have fake plants and rocks. And a humid hide which is about 40-50% humidity with sphagnum moss in it to retain moisture. I spray it down a few times a day since I don't want it to dry out and her basking temp is 98 at the moment since I read that I should increase it for RI to keep her warm. The farthest end is about 80 degrees. At night the temp drops down to 70-80. I give her warm soak for 10-20 minutes every day. I attached pictures of her and her home. I moved some rocks around and The picture doesn't show the lighting I put but I hope it'll help give you guys an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20121011_194508.jpg
    IMG_20121011_194508.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20121011_190340.jpg
    IMG_20121011_190340.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20121026_230636.jpg
    IMG_20121026_230636.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 93

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Looks like you are doing what can be done. Bump the temps up. Keep the humidity up and warm soaks. But I would soak a little longer. Next, if she isn't eating do baby food soaks.

bamboo

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Looks like you are doing what can be done. Bump the temps up. Keep the humidity up and warm soaks. But I would soak a little longer. Next, if she isn't eating do baby food soaks.

Ok. Hopefully she'll get better. I tried using a humidifier and it seems to got rid of her bubbles. Thankyou!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome Hope Luna gets better soon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also squirt the Baytril in the nose. But I wouldn't use it full strength this way. Dilute it with sterile saline and squirt it in each nostril. The other end of the nostrils goes into the roof of the tortoise's mouth.

bamboo

5 Year Member
Thankyou everyone =) Glad I joined this site. It's very helpful. Luna has gotten a lot better. She brightens up my day everyday. Always tilting her head to the side when I talk to her ahha

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She looks so cute I could fall love with her. After the baby food soaks, IF she looks like she's getting worse, take her back to the vet and you tell him to give her antibiotics for that RI. The last thing you want is for this to turn into pneumonia. Don't let him give you oral antibiotics, ask for syringes and administer the med by injections. This way you can make sure she gets all her meds. Oh, btw, welcome to the forum.

bamboo

5 Year Member
Thankyou =) sorry I got this kind of late. She did got the oral one. The last one she didn't take so they gave her a shot. But overall she got better from the ri. It was tricky getting her to take the oral but she didn't seem to notice it when I had the med soak into the mazuri pills. That did the trick. Ran out at the end though so Yea haha

Status
Not open for further replies.