soft shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Niabi, My hatchling still has a soft shell, she/he is eating baby greens and other greens with fibre, she/he is getting calcium every 2 days, no heating as its around 30ºc here doesn't drop alot at night also getting daily baths and has a uvb/a light.I don't want to put her outside as iam working all day and it gets to hot.. Is it normal that the shell is still soft?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, my hatchlings are now a month old and their shells are pliable but not really soft. They should have some give to them yet at a month old (thus they bounce instead of crack if dropped). When you posted pics of Niabi it looked just hatched do you know how old it is?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Not a clue, The guy that gave me him/her was the old owner of Miya, The torts belong to his uncle,Been trying to find out where his uncle lives to report him, this guy said there are lots of dead baby torts where he got Niabi from..I have educated him somewhat as he brought his torts to me to be wormed and checked, Each one left with a caresheet..
Youre right the shell is probably more pliable than soft,eating okay and drinking ok, Am i just over protective, I am just so worried for him/her, Would she be better outside ? How old will Niabi be when the shell hardens?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
maybe try giving calcium EVERY day, instead of every second? My greek baby is 8 months old, and she still gets her greens dusted at every feeding....also, do you have cuttle bone available for her? My baby Anouk loves hers. She has a white mustache from it almost everyday, even with the calcium at feedings.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Thanks Meg, I can get cuttle fish quite easily, Mini and Henry have one, he loves it. Miya has her eyesight back 100% now and she has moved in with Mini, Today is her first day, I will leave her a few hours and see how they get on. I will start dusting Niabis food everyday...I worry more for Niabi than my own kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.