Something white in Hermy's eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello everyone :)
Since last week, Hermy has something white in the interior corner of one of his eyes, it looks like a white deposit. Sometime, I see it more and sometime I dont. ''sorry Hermy, do not be mad but I have to tell them details'' This morning, Hermy urinated and then he started to enter his head like crazy in his shell (he was pumping the blood to his penis, he always does that when he pees or poop :rolleyes: ). The white thing in his eye became redish and it was getting bigger!! When he was done, it came back to normal.
I will take a picture of his eye tonight and I will post it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the nictitating membrane, or third eyelid. Some turtles and tortoises can make this swell at will. I recently sent our Danny a male Gulf Coast box turtle who had this swelling in the inside corner of his eye. It was worse when he was stressed. Danny tells me that since the turtle has been with him, and he is settled and comfy in his new home, the swelling doesn't come back. There might be a reason for your tortoise's third eyelid to be swelling, but again, there might be no reason. If it bothers you, you can put a dab of eye ointment on the eyelid several times a day. It won't hurt, but it can and will help.

eyeointment.jpg

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks a lot Yvonne :)
Do you know if it hurts Hermy when it does that? Can it cause a problem in the long term?
I really do not know why Hermy has that, it was not there before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know if it can be a problem or if it hurts, however, in dogs when it becomes swollen, it is referred to as "cherry eye," and usually has to be removed by surgery. I don't think Hermy will suffer with it if you apply the ointment.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
I don't know if it can be a problem or if it hurts, however, in dogs when it becomes swollen, it is referred to as "cherry eye," and usually has to be removed by surgery. I don't think Hermy will suffer with it if you apply the ointment.

Yvonne

Do I just put the oitment (a little bit I guess) on his eye while it is open?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They usually have their eyes closed. The ointment will absorb through the eyelid and be beneficial even applied to a closed eye

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Grrrrrr!! I called at 2 different drugstores and they told me they do not sell Terramycin in Canada :(. Is there another oitment I could buy for Hermy's eye.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would be ok to use, Isa. However, you buy the other ointment from a feed store (that sells horse and cattle food) or a vet. Its for animal use.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
That would be ok to use, Isa. However, you buy the other ointment from a feed store (that sells horse and cattle food) or a vet. Its for animal use.

Yvonne

Ahhhh okkkk :D opps. I just called the vet and they told me that they do not have it but even if they did, I would have to consult a vet to buy the oitment. I will call a feed store tomorrow.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoisenerd said:
Hope Hermy isn't bothered by this. Best wishes!

Thanks Kate
I really hope too :), I do not think he is though, because I do not see him touch his eyes with his arms.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I ammm so mad right now!!! I called different feed stores (places for horses) they told me we can only get the product if Hermy see a vet. I called another vet and they told me they have the oitment but that they have to see Hermy. The only problem with that issss that this is the vet I used to go to. the one who made a billion tests to Hermy. So if I go there with Hermy, I am sure he will want to do test for nothing (well for my money!!).
I really do not know what to do.
In the USA, can you get the oitment without seeing a vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you will send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a tube of the ointment. I think if I pack it in a bubble wrap envelope I should be able to mail it U.S. mail for not too much $$.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.