[split] help with my new baby golden greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Az
I also just got a baby golden greek on sept 24, and it is my first tortoise as well. He has been sleeping most of the day, and doesn't eat very much. I have seen him eat every day so far except today - had to go to work, but he hardly eats any of what I give him. I guess i'm not sure how much he should be eating or if he's acting normally :/ It's kinda been worrying me lately.

Hopefully someone will reply to this thread soon with some advice...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally speaking, baby tortoises sleep a lot with small bursts of activity in between. A tortoise in a completely new environment with new surroundings will often take some time to feel secure and safe enough to venture out of hiding, especially when there is activity going on around them. It is good that your tortoise is eating but more importantly is that it remain well hydrated. Especially during this transition period, but in the future also. Does your tortoise have a dark hide to rest in? What are the day/night temperatures and humidity level in it's enclosure? What type of lighting? How big is the enclosure?

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
He does have a dark hide, but he hasn't used it much yet. He prefers to burrow into the pile of hay next to it. The hide also has hay in it for burrowing. I don't have a humid hide yet, but I plan on making one soon. The humidity is pretty low about 30-40% because I read high humidity can cause respiratory problems, but after reading about the importance of moisture for shell growth I started soaking him for 10-15 minutes every day and misting him a couple times a day but the enclosure is still kept dry. Should I bump up the humidity all around or should I just add a humid hiding area?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
High humidity for a Golden Greek should be considered anything 75% and over constantly. 30-40% is far to low. A good range would be 50-70% with correct temperatures. Tortoises are going to hide where they feel most secure. Baby tortoises will often bury themselves in the substrate or hide under something (such a pile of hay). It's not unusual for them to not use a manmade hide which is usually too large and cavernous. There is a good possibility that they feel more secure surrounded by something. Moisture should be looked at from three different but equally important views: #1-hydration, well hydrated tortoises typically are healthier and have fewer problems. #2-moisture, the substrate should be kept moderately moist which in turn will help to prevent dehydration when the tortoise is buried in it. #3-humidity, the ambient air humidity should be sufficient and constant enough so that is does not draw too much moisture from the substrate and so that the tortoise is active but not constantly wet. Tortoises kept in conditions too dry will often burrow into the substrate and remain theri for long periods of time in order to attempt to wait out the dry season. Remember that humidity is relative to air temperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.