Substrate mold

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
For substrate, I am currently using Premier sphagnum peat moss from Home Depot. I keep noticing small spots of white mold growing under his humid hide. Should I be worried about this? I remove it every time i see it growing.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
^^^ Barb, is right. Here are some substrates proven to work really well, by members here on TFO.

Coco coir
Coco husk
Orchid bark
Organic topsoil (no pesticides and fertilizers)
Clean dirt (from your yard)
Sphagnum moss (mix)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Substrate mold

SulcataDud3 said:
^^^ Barb, is right. Here are some substrates proven to work really well, by members here on TFO.

Coco coir
Coco husk
Orchid bark
Organic topsoil (no pesticides and fertilizers)
Clean dirt (from your yard)
Sphagnum moss (mix)

What about organic potting soil? I mixed that with coco coir and sphagnum (no peat, just regular)...hoping no mold?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No potting soil. It will have a fertilizer or water retaining medium that would be best to keep out of your tort's enclosure.

If you are getting mold, I'd switch substrate.

Sent from my TFOapp

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Dang it. We couldn't find any organic top soil in town...wrong time of year and all. Not being big gardeners, we figured organic dirt was organic dirt. Poo. :( Well hopefully between the coco coir and sphagnum it will at least take a while...soil is only 1/4 of the mix. :/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The top soil I buy doesn't specify "organic". It's just top soil. It's usually the cheapest bag, too because it is plain dirt, free of any additives. Earth Gro is the brand I usually pick up from Home Depot. Bought one today actually. $2.27 :) I was able to replace both my chamber substrates and re seed a 1/4 of my back yard with it. Its a big bag ;)