But still want to making sure
Which substrate is best for a leopard
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. There are a couple. I like coconut coir. It holds humidity really well, and doesn't mold. If you bake or boil it before you use it it will take a long time, if at all to get little bugs that almost all substrate will get. They are tiny bugs and mainly only stays in the enclosure won't bother the tort. Mostly a nuisance to us. Orchid bark is another one people like.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
For any tortoise managing humidity is a key part of keeping it healthy.

The substrate needs to be damp; not wet, but damp throughout- all of it. You do this by tipping water in and mixing it thoroughly with your hands.

It also needs to be something that won't cause harm if eaten accidentally.

So:
- coco coir and fine grade orchid bark are most popular on TFO for the reasons above

- rabbit pellets are often recommended by pet stores. They don't hold moisture and must not be used

- sand doesn't hold moisture and impacts in the gut if eaten. It must not be used either.

- hay/straw go moldy if damp and isn't suitable either

I suggest you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/