The Ants go Marching...

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have Spook in a cement mixing tub with tons of drainage holes at the bottom on my back porch. It's beautiful and the seeds are sprouting! But I have black ants! Eeek! I myself have no problem with ants but I do not like the idea of them in the home with my tort. They haven't been seen swarming her food bowl, and dont seem to bother her but I'd love to know of a safe way to get rid of them without hurting her. Plus fire ants use Vodkas walls as a highway and I do NOT want her to get hurt either.

Any safe options? I can post a picture of her home later to show you guys what I'm working with. ANy help is awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because the habitat is a container, you can use a regular ant spray that has a residual and spray all around the base of the outside of the mixing tub.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have heard that foodgrade DE is effective and does not harm tortoises. You have to make sure it is food grade, the other form is poison.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
The ants are living in the container of the baby and I dont want to poison her. The DE needs to be kept dry right?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes it has to stay dry and I Hurd it works on other insects as well

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just take the Tortoise out of the enclosure, lightly spread the DE around and then put the Tortoise back.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I don't know if the DE will work, but to keep it dry, you could put it in some kind of container with some kind of bait--whatever those ants like. Then the ants will crawl on the dry DE.