The creatures in the desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

My daughter and i went out this evening so I could feed the critters like any other day. Walked around our trailer and look who is posing for us. So I snapped a pic. In the next ones I was cleaning the flower pots away from the trailer and another critter comes crawling out. Kinda scary i couldnt hardly see this one. See if you can find it by the lighter..in the next pic I enlarged it so you can see it,

Attachments

• 102_4542.JPG
    102_4542.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 102_4544.JPG
    102_4544.JPG
    852.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 102_4544 - Copy.JPG
    102_4544 - Copy.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 57

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It looks like smoking stunted that scorpions growth.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Cool pic's indeed. Those bark scorpions count for more stings in our E.R. than do rattlesnake bites. And they're NASTY. I don't care to see any more pediatric patients in seizure-like mode due to the sting of these little bustards.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hate to see scorpions. I found a little baby one recently. Hope it is the only one??? DE is suppose to kill them.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
This is why AZ scares me sooo much! Those are great pictures!!

Cory

5 Year Member
Rock Hill, SC
Wow I couldn't imagine having to worry about scorpions. Scary stuff. Rut Roe....

B

byerssusan

Thank you for identifying this scorpion. I thought it was a bark .(Is it a baby one or an adult?).I have only lived here for two years And have seen a few diff kinds of these evil little creatures. I just know there are plenty more where that one came from.I am constantly checking..even in house..i have a 3 year old which pointed one out to me just the other day. Thank goodness I taught her to stay away and tell me when she sees these bad bugs. But the preying mantis was awesome. Love the look it was giving me.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Great pics!!

Admittedly, scorpions seriously freak me out. I know they aren't "bad," per say, and there's no reason for me to be significantly more afraid of a mild-toxicity scorpion than I am my tarantulas... But, still, something about them gives me the heebie jeebies. Give me roaches, tarantulas, and snakes any day of the week, but I can't do scorps! :p

Praying mantises freak me out, too. I hear they have one heck of a bite. But they're definitely gorgeous. Could watch them all day...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I used to keep Emperors. With scorps, it is interesting that they smaller the species, generally the higher the toxicity. An Emperor will give you a sting no worse than a bee sting (unless you happen to be allergic, and then there might be a problem....)

Great pics!

B

byerssusan

I have never known of a mantis biting. I was and probably still am a tom boy lol..I use to when a child play with them all the time. Cannot remeber them ever biting. I agree about scorpions. I would rather see a snake any day.. Well I use to play with those as a child also. lol.. I an remember walking in the house with oneI caught and telling my mother look mom how beautiful.. and her screaming GET IT OUT lol.. Animal lover from day one I guess. But the scorps I can live without.. They scare me really bad. Not so much for myself but my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.