5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They are both good. My torts have been eating these for years.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sweet deal thanks Larry. These are both something Ive never seen before down in the south so very new to me. :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Redfoots, it is not an ivy but creeping charlie, a very common weed in the midwest. My first torts (1974) had it growing in their enclosure and chowed down on it from the first. I think you are thinking of english ivy. Many plants listed as toxic are to mammals, I've found that a tort will eat some of these with no ill effect. Mine have scared me by eating poinsettas, philodendrums, and elephant ear. None of these had any ill effect and some turn out to be native food.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Itort said:
Redfoots, it is not an ivy but creeping charlie, a very common weed in the midwest. My first torts (1974) had it growing in their enclosure and chowed down on it from the first. I think you are thinking of english ivy.

Actually it does mention it by name specifically on those sites. Creeping Charlie/Ground Ivy. I pretty much figured if it was bad they wouldnt eat it but they do. I know I fed it last Fall as I thought it was mallow at the time. No ill effects with any of my torts. I think if it is toxic to humans that it is not necessarily toxic to torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.