Tortoise club in the bay area california?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I was wondering if there is a tortoise club in the bay area California i can join? be nice if I can find one. Be fun to exchange ideas or set up a picnic w/ tons of tortoises around! Im no pro photographer but would love to do a photo sessions... PM if any body is interested in doing a photo shoot for your tort. :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A club is a great idea. Thee is one in my part of the UK.

However, the torts stay at home and the owners enjoy themselves. Travelling is stressful to the torts and the risk of infection passing between animals is too high.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the only one I know of, but I'm sure there must be more:

CTTC Silicon Valley Chapter
Postal mailing address: P.O. Box 64135, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-4135
Meets: Third Friday of the month at San Jose Masonic Center, 2500 Masonic Drive, San Jose, CA. 95125

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
There is enough of us Bay Area people on this forum, we should start a new chapter...;)

but I have no idea what that entails....

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
littlestella said:
There is enough of us Bay Area people on this forum, we should start a new chapter...;)

but I have no idea what that entails....

YEAH!!!! Reason why I brought it up is because I have some really cool ideas for the club. For example, lets say your tort is sick, photos and a basic explanations in the forums are good but going up to your club members and havin them actually see your tort in person sound so much better! You might miss something that others can easily notice before you bring him/her to the vet. Other ideas are like, help a fellow member or new members with their terrarium or outdoor set up! It helps us to encourage each other to better take batter care for our pets/family member.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Years ago I started a chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club. It is the Cen-Val chapter. You just have to ask one of the other chapters to sponsor you. We met in my living room...started out with about 10 interested people, and quickly outgrew my home and had to meet in a school cafeteria. You are a "branch" for a year, and if all goes will and you gain membership, at the end of the year you become a "chapter."

There's really nothing to it, but if you become a chapter of the CTTC, you have to adhere to their rules and bylaws.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I dont think you are supposed to bring your pets with you to those things. Its too stressful for them to travel. Its a people only thing I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We had an open pet policy at our meetings. But the turtles and tortoises had to be contained and not allowed to roam freely. We also had a big supply of hand wipes.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
The purpose of the club is just to get a better ideas for you pet not to further stress them out. It is up to the owner to bring them if they are to come w/ their tort in meetings. To each its own. I just like the ideas of club members helping each other out! like what Yvonne G said, not having them roam around would definitely help. Bring them so new members can get a better example of how a healthy tort should look. watching you tube and reading forums can give you an idea, but seeing them in person and having them explain it sound just so much better. Yvonne G, Thanks for the idea on how we can start one in the bay area. Ill post something up maybe a little later bout maybe start one in our area. I dont want to bite more than i can chew. I work graveyard and just got a new promotion. I rather focus on that for now until i get settled. =)

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am in Hollister, CA which is about 45 miles south of San Jose. We have a great Facebook page that is made up of members from all over the State, USA and around the world. I do presentations, events and educational things here and there and post everything on the page. You can find us as "The Tortoise Home" or visit our website www.tortoisehome.org. We also do rescue and adoptions.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
TORTOISEHOME said:
I am in Hollister, CA which is about 45 miles south of San Jose. We have a great Facebook page that is made up of members from all over the State, USA and around the world. I do presentations, events and educational things here and there and post everything on the page. You can find us as "The Tortoise Home" or visit our website www.tortoisehome.org. We also do rescue and adoptions.

Im already part of the facebook page =) Im wondering. im in the process of buying another Ibera Greek... preferably male, I would rather adopt one and give him a new home. You know anybody who has one for adoption around our area?

Status
Not open for further replies.