Tortoise doesn't like hay... yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flametorch

5 Year Member
My baby leopard tortoise kevlar, needs to learn how to eat hay, and I need to learn ways for him to get into the stuff, and wean him off of the spring mix as a main diet. So far I blended orchard and timothy hay and some water and it looks like freshly cut grasses, but he hasn't touched it yet (cause he's sleeping) so how did you learn how to make your tortoises eat healthy?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I've heard to introduce the salad style hay finely chopped with the greens at a young age, in increasing amounts as they grow older. Someone else will come along soon with more suggestions.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
grind up the hay and dampen your spring mix, put it all in a baggie and shake it up. the lettuce will be peppered with the ground up hay and they Might get a taste for it. However,, most babies dont eat dry hay. even adults dont take to it very well when they have other things to eat.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
That explains why mine was not going for hay. She has too many other things to eat that are more juicier and yummy. I'll try to do what Laura suggested. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.