Tortoise not eating

Shelbyrussiantort

Location (City and/or State)
Sunderland
Hi I'm New to forum, my daughter got an 11 month old Russian tortoise for her birthday in July, we have been managing well thanks to all the advice on here!
We have just been away to a caravan for the week and took our tortoise with us, with heat lamp etc, but the second night the temp dropped so it was really cold, since then she's refusing to eat, she's still active but hasn't eaten now for 3 days, should we be worried? Has the cold started off an early hibernation instinct? Is there a way to reverse it as we weren't planning on hibernating her, TIA

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I don’t think 1 night of cold temps would cause hibernation instincts. How cold are we talking?
It could just be stress.. tortoises can become stressed quickly when moved around. I would just keep offering favourite foods and give her a nice long daily soak for 30 mins.

Shelbyrussiantort

Sunderland
I don’t think 1 night of cold temps would cause hibernation instincts. How cold are we talking?
It could just be stress.. tortoises can become stressed quickly when moved around. I would just keep offering favourite foods and give her a nice long daily soak for 30 mins.
It was probably about 10oC
Will try the longer soaks and back to normal routines now we're home, thanks

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! Hope she gets her appetite back soon.