Tortoise Shell

Adzyfinch1998

Hi, this is my 5 year old Horsefield tortoise Raphael, he is healthy, very active, eats very well is in very good conditions and a great routine. He has a great shell and from what I have read, is healthy. I do however have a concern and was wondering if anyone on here could help. He has what seems to be, pieces of clear shell round the back and front legs. Just wondering if anyone knew what this is or if its anything to worry about. I have attached 2 images which you can see.

Attachments

• raphael 1.jpg
    raphael 1.jpg
    950.1 KB · Views: 37
  • raphael 2.jpg
    raphael 2.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 35

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
There's a large amount of new growth - perhaps more than usual.

Is he growing rapidly? What do you feed him?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It looks like a growth line, and it appears normal to me, but I could be wrong.
I also have a question regarding your profile picture. In the picture, it almost looks like his jaw his puffy on one side? I could be seeing it wrong. If if is, though, could you post more pictures of his jaw and mouth so that some people on the forum can let you know if something is wrong?

Adzyfinch1998

I feed him 5-6 times a week on tortoise pellets and dandelion leaves (which he loves). I'll try and post another picture of his mouth ASAP.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay, it's probably not a big deal, but it just looked unusual and I would feel guilty if I didn't tell you and something happened. Sure is a cutie!

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479029550.478620.jpg
My hermanns also has some in the same places. I've noticed that they are getting less transparent over time.