Tortoise substrate

Josie.123

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello everyone
I’m posting again, finding this forum to be very useful. I was reading online ( all you do as a new tortoise owner?) and was wondering on substrate as i saw somewhere that they use sterilised top soil- i know that normal soil and sand is terrible though. I message them and they said the tortoise live bio meditation substrate I have got now is not good. What do I do? I need help!!
Thanks, Josie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, tortoises live on dirt/sand in the desert, however it's generally packed down hard. Plus the tortoise mainly eats off a stem or blade, not off the ground. If you have your tortoise outside in a yard the native soil, packed down is fine. But if the tortoise lives in an enclosure indoors my substrate of choice is fine grade fir bark (orchid bark).

Josie.123

England
Yes, tortoises live on dirt/sand in the desert, however it's generally packed down hard. Plus the tortoise mainly eats off a stem or blade, not off the ground. If you have your tortoise outside in a yard the native soil, packed down is fine. But if the tortoise lives in an enclosure indoors my substrate of choice is fine grade fir bark (orchid bark).
Thank you for your help and the quick reply