Tortoise very inactive

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
Lately my tortoise has been very inactive, reluctant to eat only eating a very bites if I show him the food, he literally never comes out unless I move him he just stays in his burrow. It has not gotten cold at all and nothing has changed about his cage however I did recently move. Also I never really find any poop or urates in his cage like I used to when I got him.

What could be wrong? I'm really worried about my little guy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Start soaking in warm water every day and make sure the temperature in the habitat is at least 80F all over the whole habitat. Once he becomes more active you can reduce the temp back to hot side/cool side.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Stress of a move can do, also check your uv light and make sure its still good.

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
He tends to do everything he can to move away from the heat, the uvb light was just replaced a few weeks ago, however where he lays under a pile of hay he doesn't get any of it unless I wake him up to eat.
Also I plan on building him an outdoor pen soon (if it ever gets warmer here). Would moving him outside at this time while I'm having these issues with him be a bad idea or do you think it could help?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
He tends to do everything he can to move away from the heat, the uvb light was just replaced a few weeks ago, however where he lays under a pile of hay he doesn't get any of it unless I wake him up to eat.
Also I plan on building him an outdoor pen soon (if it ever gets warmer here). Would moving him outside at this time while I'm having these issues with him be a bad idea or do you think it could help?
is the UV light the same thing you had before? If not the light being different, he may not like it, or if it happens to be a coil bulb even if it was the same type it could be emitting harsher light