tortoose breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaBanana

5 Year Member
Hey guys. I have a baby herman tortoise ans his breathing looks like he has the hiccups. Is that because he is scared? He also has this quiet sound when breathing.some what like a low click. I just want to see if I have to adjust anything.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
AnnaBanana said:
Hey guys. I have a baby herman tortoise ans his breathing looks like he has the hiccups. Is that because he is scared? He also has this quiet sound when breathing.some what like a low click. I just want to see if I have to adjust anything.

Welcome Anna! It could be a host of things or nothing at all. Can you provide info on how you keep him? Substraight, humidity, temps, diet, etc?

AnnaBanana

5 Year Member
He's on cypress mulch with sphagnum moss on either side. The sound has gone down some since I got him. He had it from the pet store. He has a water and food dish, which contains finely cut up kale and chunks of tomatoes that are both switched in the morning. I do not know the exact humidity or temp (was going to get thermometers for both but flooding has me stuck at home). But I wet his moss good. He has a 40W heat bulb. It says the temp stays 68 from 20 inches. So, i've kept it until I can go out. His uvb bulb is 60w. I don't like them but I can't get out yet. The weather has been high 70's, so he has been in a nicely warm room. I soak him once a day, when I get home.
I was horribly worried but when I held him and offered a tomato, he ate :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
In my opinion your bulb may not be offering a warm enough basking spot. Try to get your basking spot into the 95 degree range.

Make sure your uvb bulb is not a compact fluorescent.

Give him a wide variety of green leafy vegetables. I don't think the tomatoes are advised as a primary food. See what healthy weeds are available in your area. Dandelions are a good start.

Try to get him some sunshine; but don't overheat him. He can pickup uv even in a shady area.

Good luck.

AnnaBanana

5 Year Member
I was giving him weeds and grass from areas that weren't grown by fertilizer and kale. He wouldn't touch anything but the tomatoes. I now have it all blended and he still won't touch the green haha. But I will make sure to start switching out the tomatoes now. Try other kinds of things. But I will buy him a stronger light, and some calcium things.
I'll also get him outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.