Tube fed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Michigan
Does anyone have experience with a tortoise that had to be tube fed long term? He is eating on his own now, but was tube fed about 6 months. He has some weird shell growth (I'll try to post pictures), and some other unusual behaviors.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow! That's amazing! I have experience with having to tube feed a cat long term (2 years) but not a tort! I would love to see pics..how is he doing?? Was the tube surgically placed or did you have to tube him every time you fed him?

Breezy

5 Year Member
Northern Michigan
I wouldn't want to have to tube either of my cats. I placed the tube daily, he was so sick when he first came to me that he didn't fight. By the end he was actually quite compliant. He's actually doing well.

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Yes! My Russain had one for around 6 weeks. It was surgically placed in the side of his neck and went into his stomach. He pulled it out himself in the end, the little bugger! He had his though for his meds more than anything.

Breezy

5 Year Member
Northern Michigan
Here are photos of Darwin. I am concerned about his shell growth, I just want everything to be perfect for him now, he has had such a hard road to be here most of which I know nothing about. Any help would be appreciated.
WP_20130125_001_zps7ee4b40f.jpg
[/img]
WP_20130317_006_zps6bb92391.jpg
[/img]
WP_20130317_007_zps40aff9a5.jpg
[/img]
WP_20130317_005_zps9be42510.jpg
[/img]

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I just place a feeding tube into one of my tortoises today. Generally you feed once a week. Overfeeding can cause bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and regurgitation issues. I use soaked Mazuri and water. Put it in a blender until liquefied. Make sure the tube does not get clogged. In a week or so, I'll start offering food and see if the tortoise starts eating on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.