Turtle aggressive RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhflincoln

10 Year Member!
Hoping someone can help.

I have a female red ear slider that I have had since she been a hatchling.
She is ten years old and a little smaller than a dinner plate. Half of the year she is in large aquarium and the other half in the pond.
She use to be fine with one other turtle during the summer but last summer she tried to kill the other RES that was in the pond.
Is there any easy way to get her use to other turtles again or is she a one pond turtle? I have a razorback and a yellow belly cooter that I was thinking of mixing her with.
Any suggestions on how to get her use to the idea.

Thanks,

Rhflincoln

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry to hear that. Maybe your pond is too small? Mine is just a mud hole and the water is very murky, so there usually isn't any aggression (because they can't see each other), and I have some very aggressive-type turtles in there. If the pond is a large one, maybe add some hiding places for the milder-mannered turtles to take advantage of???

Why do you bring her in for the winter. She can hibernate outside. Then maybe she wouldn't feel the need to chase the others out of her territory.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Was the other turtle that she fought with a male? Is the space big enough?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sometimes turtles are just jerks, I do not know any way to make her nice. It could be a territory thing.

rhflincoln

10 Year Member!
kimber_lee_314 said:
Was the other turtle that she fought with a male? Is the space big enough?

yes, but a very young male.

emysemys said:
Sorry to hear that. Maybe your pond is too small? Mine is just a mud hole and the water is very murky, so there usually isn't any aggression (because they can't see each other), and I have some very aggressive-type turtles in there. If the pond is a large one, maybe add some hiding places for the milder-mannered turtles to take advantage of???

Why do you bring her in for the winter. She can hibernate outside. Then maybe she wouldn't feel the need to chase the others out of her territory.

She has never hibernated. She is my classroom pet at school.

She always had a turtle with her for the first seven years. The other turtle was a female map turtle. She past away and she attacked the male that I put in with her. He was much smaller than her but so was the map turtle. The map turtle and her had been together since hatchlings.

M

Maggie Cummings

I also have a female RES kept in much the same situation as yours and she used to be very friendly to me but now she tries to bite my arm off. I don't know why and have given up trying to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.