Uneven shell growth? Help

Mr. Nubs

I have a 2 year old leopard tortoise named Mr. Nubs and his front right scute seems to be uneven compared to the left scute? I don't know if this is normal and am wondering if it will even out? Here's a picture of what it looks like: ImageUploadedByTortForum1391451767.790212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It just looks like there hasn't been any growth in that seam. Take a Q-tip dipped in olive oil every morning and just massage that growth seam. Do this especially during high growth periods...when you see growth happening in other areas of the shell. Once you can see a bit of new growth in this area, you can stop the massage.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Yvonne G said:
It just looks like there hasn't been any growth in that seam. Take a Q-tip dipped in olive oil every morning and just massage that growth seam. Do this especially during high growth periods...when you see growth happening in other areas of the shell. Once you can see a bit of new growth in this area, you can stop the massage.

I have a question regarding that statement. Should I cost their shells with olive oil or coconut oil?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your auto correct changed "coat" to "cost", right? The answer is, neither. In my opinion one should NEVER coat a tortoises shell with a topical. The advice I gave Mr. Nubs' keeper was to paint and massage the seam between scutes, not to coat the shell.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Uneven shell growth? Help

Yvonne G said:

Really? This actually works?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Yvonne G said:

Good to know this tip. Thanks.

Cycere

Re: RE: Uneven shell growth? Help

Yvonne G said:
I think your auto correct changed "coat" to "cost", right? The answer is, neither. In my opinion one should NEVER coat a tortoises shell with a topical. The advice I gave Mr. Nubs' keeper was to paint and massage the seam between scutes, not to coat the shell.

'Paint'?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Cycere said:
Yvonne G said:

'Paint'?

Yvonne was referring to a "paint stroke" with a Q-tip of olive oil, not using "paint" on the tortoise shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Joe. One must be so literal here! :p