Upgrading my tortoise enclosure

salvatortoisedali

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
hey guys, I recently reclaimed ownership of my little guy salvatortoise because I was away at school. I have noticed that he has large growth rings and slightly uneven growth shell. I have done more research this time around and have built him a new screened 2'x4'x2' enclosure with brand new lighting. I have a Mercury vapor UVB bulb at one end, a 100w CHE as well as a regular 60w basking light on the other end. The second level, or the ground level is a little warmer than room temperature not sure exactly maybe around 77? My temperature reads around 80F. Basically just need some reassurance, approval, advice...anything as I am getting pretty worried I've provided him with everything he needs.

IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lookin' good. The growth is fine. Some Russians grow uneven like that, but as long as the overall silhouette is the right symmetry, it's all good. I would like to advise you that screen filters out quite a bit of the UVB, so you might think about cutting a hole in the screen under the UVB light.

salvatortoisedali

Long Island, NY
Cool thank you so much...yeah i have cats who are overly curious...so i'll work something out to allow the uvb light in, thanks again for answering :)