What is my Alice up to ?

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi I’m in the uk where at the moment it’s colder than normal. My two Russians Alice and Charlie are housed outside in an insulated heated small shed. They have a wooden portion between them with their own heat bulbs a strip light between them. I’m not hibernating them, this last week while we’ve had low temperatures and snow Alice has been scratching a lot !! I open her hatch door and she went out which surprised me. I did post a photo. Anyway since that day she just wants to go outside in the cold, she will go inside for a warm on her own then outside again. I’ve noticed she’s not eating much at all either. Has anyone any ideas , is she trying to hibernate maybe? She is 6 yrs old and weighs nearly 1000 grms Charlie on the other hand is still eating maybe less than normal I put that down to time of the year , but doesn’t show any interest for venturing outside.

936A26AA-F087-42B3-9C79-874A8611D3AB.jpegBA4FC799-2841-43A4-BDE9-4213C6249934.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is it possible that Alice is getting dehydrated? Maybe a good soak might help.

Suey

England
Well they get soaked every 3 days for 20 mins and both have terracotta water bowls. I must say though I can tell Alice has been in her water bowl by the state of it. Perhaps that is the answer, I’ll try soaking every day and see what happens , thank you .

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well they get soaked every 3 days for 20 mins and both have terracotta water bowls. I must say though I can tell Alice has been in her water bowl by the state of it. Perhaps that is the answer, I’ll try soaking every day and see what happens , thank you .
Sometimes being cooped up in a dry enclosure during the colder weather low humidity they can get dried out and require more moisture.

Suey

England
What hygrometer do you guys recommend, I’ve had mine a while and isn’t the best, thanks in advance .

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The cheap electronic ones are far more accurate than the cheap dials ones for sure. For an adult Russian just misting the enclosure should keep you at a good level. My Russian is in the basement so humidity is always 40%. I add 1/2 gallon once a week as needed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Definitely use a digital thermometer/ humidastat. Those dial type are inaccurate. The home depot and Lowe's here in the U.S. sell them. Not sure if you have those there. This is the one I use. Found on Amazon.
Screenshot_20201118-094238_Chrome.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey @Blackdog1714 did you read Suey's first post. I don't want my suggestion about humidity to become the only possible remedy. If you have any other ideas for a remedy it would be appreciated I am sure.
Thanks

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can you give them something to soak in that they can go in and out themselves?

Suey

England
Hi just an update on Alice, I have soaked for 20 each day I have rubbed a little coconut oil on her shell ( think I’ve only oiled her shell once before ) she has a terracotta water dish that she can get in and does. I have also sprayed the substrate. She still wants to go out in the snow and isn’t very interested in food. Charlie my Male tortoise ( who is in separate setup ) is a lot smaller but is eating but has slowed down due to time of the year. If I don’t open up her door she just keeps scratching the walls. ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hi just an update on Alice, I have soaked for 20 each day I have rubbed a little coconut oil on her shell ( think I’ve only oiled her shell once before ) she has a terracotta water dish that she can get in and does. I have also sprayed the substrate. She still wants to go out in the snow and isn’t very interested in food. Charlie my Male tortoise ( who is in separate setup ) is a lot smaller but is eating but has slowed down due to time of the year. If I don’t open up her door she just keeps scratching the walls. ?
Excellent. Russians are very hardy little tortoises, but sometime don't think it through. Small body means very small heat retention so just keep an eye on her so she doesn't venture out too long since I can imagine the wet and cold y'all get! It is tough but we have to be more determined that our tort!

Suey

England
Thanks for reply, yes I do keep an eye on her, she does seem to have the sense to go in when she wants a warm and I do make sure she’s in for 3 30 , which she is usually in by then asleep in her corner. We still have snow here and been -2 most nights and no change on the way yet. We have had some nice sunny spells with it so probably what she wants .