What To Plant In An Indoor Enclosure

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, AZ
I just created an nice sized indoor enclosure for my RT, Franklin. It's 50" x 25" and has a combo of organic soil, plantation soil & cypress mulch. I would like to try putting in some seeds or plants and see how they do. What have you tried that works and is ok for the tortoise? I read somewhere about planting birdseed that will grow into grass. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
For the environment a Russian tortoise would require, dracaena should do well. Grows tall and leaves are too rough for eating. Personally, I use fake plants from Michaels. They look somewhat real and require no watering.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503267919.636178.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I'm afraid you aren't going to be successful growing seeds within the enclosure; your tortoise will trample them to death.

Some people keep plants in pots, either for eating or to create hides. They keep a few pots outside of the enclosure, then swap them out when the originals get destroyed.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I just created an nice sized indoor enclosure for my RT, Franklin. It's 50" x 25" and has a combo of organic soil, plantation soil & cypress mulch. I would like to try putting in some seeds or plants and see how they do. What have you tried that works and is ok for the tortoise? I read somewhere about planting birdseed that will grow into grass. Any other ideas?

Thank you!
I have a couple pots of Broadleaf Testudo Mix (http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix) for my indoor Russian enclosure, but I'm having trouble getting the plants to really get going. There are sprouts, but their growth is being stunted for some reason and I'm not sure why yet. :( Maybe I can start growing them outdoors first and bring them inside when they're bigger.