Which freshwater turtles nest on sea beaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I can only think of diamondback terrapins (malachelys), northern river terrapins (batagur baska), and painted terrapins (callagur borneoensis). Are there any other species that nest on sea beaches?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
*NEW TOPIC*

I want to find out which freshwater turtles either nest on sea beaches OR live in brackish water/estuarines. I can only think of Batagur baska, Callagur borneoensis, diamondback terrapins, and Mexican mud turtles. Any other species?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i have observed a few Red Eared Sliders swimming/feeding along the coast, and in brackish water systems, but have not seen any nesting behavior. I wouldn't put it past them though to nesting on the beach, but I can not tell you of any leads for this.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply. Do the RES you have observed enter coastal waters and brackish systems only to feed?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
tortoises101 said:
Thanks for the reply. Do the RES you have observed enter coastal waters and brackish systems only to feed?

I can only guess that feeding was the primary motivation, it was observed during a summer i spent monitoring sea turtle nesting behavior at Padre Island National Seashore, in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have found red-bellied turtles,eastern mud turtles,spotted turtles,eastern painted turtles,and diamondback terrapins, living in the brackish tidal waters of the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River in Southern Md and Northern Neck Va.Last week a male painted turtle was walking the fence line trying to get into my back yard and all we have around us is tidal water.When I first saw him I figured it was female looking to lay eggs, was real surprised to see a male wandering so far from the river. Almost forgot the common snapping turtle,they are everywhere.Len

Status
Not open for further replies.