Young hermann advice pls

Chchjen

Hi everyone. I am looking for
Some advice to help me help my tortoise. We have had tim since the beginning of June this year and he is around 15 months old. He has always been really lively, constantly walking around his table, stomping in his water and climbing on his bridge. I have grown his food and he has always had a good appetite. Then around 2 weeks ago I noticed that tim hadn't moved all day or eaten. Two weeks on and he still sleeps all of the time with his head resting on the soil, he used to tuck in and burrow into the soil. I have taken him to the vet and she could not find anything obviously wrong with him except for a small number of pin worm eggs on his poo but she didn't think that that would be causing his dramatic change in behaviour. I bathe him every morning and he drinks loads in the bath but the rest of the time he sleeps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome. If you could give us more info about your enclosure, lights and heat using, temps day, night, basking any humidity being used, size of enclosure,diet, etc. these things will help us to help you and your tort.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Photos of your enclosure would be useful in helping to isolate your problem if that is possible for you.
Otherwise temperature and humidity are common reasons for a reduction in activity.
Could you please tell us you four temps? (basking spot, warm side, cool side, night time).
Are you using a coiled bulb? These can slowly kill tortoises.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
to see if changes are needed.

Chchjen

Hi and thank you for your replies. The basking spot is between 29-31 and the cool spot is around 22-24. His substrate is mainly top soil with a little sand mixed in. The bulb is a combined heat and uv bulb. He eats weeds I have grown including dandelion, white clover, lambs lettuce. Thanks :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16