18 y.o. Russian Tortoise acting strange

jaimi

We've had Speedy for about 18 years. My son received him as a gift, we were told he was a Russian Leopard Tortoise. (call him a "he", but not sure) He has always lived outdoors (we live in Southern California), first in a large secured pen with a heat source, covered with wire because we were concerned about predators. Then we moved him into a more open area with a box he could go in when it was cold. He kept busting out of his enclosure, so we gave him full run of the yard and he seems very happy.
I think we didn't feed him properly when he was young, but once he had more free range he grew and became more social. He's around 12 lbs, and about the size of a soccer ball. His diet is mostly grass, spring mix lettuce, fruit, and an occasional nopales cactus leaf
The past few weeks, hes been acting strange, it's almost like he's hibernating. Not eating much, hiding. He always is around when we're outside, but now we have a hard time finding him. He has NEVER hibernated in the past. It is still cold and damp where we live, it won't really heat up for another couple weeks. I checked on him recently, and he doesn't seem to have any respiratory issues. I've only had him at the vet once, and he was pretty stressed out by the trip, but I'll take him. Any advice???

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Can you post a picture? There are no russian leopard tortoises. At 12 lbs he is certainly not a russian. Knowing his species will help us help you.

jaimi

I attached a pic to my profile. When we got him he was about the size of my fist, small, but I don't think he was a "baby"

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

It could be the cold weather that's irritating your tort. Posting pics would definitely allow the experienced member here to help you more.

jaimi

here's a couple. the first one he has strawberries on his face, no injury!

speedy2.jpg speedy3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaimi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoise is a leopard tortoise. Russians are a completely different species. Leopard tortoises come from Africa and its mostly always warm there. If you've been seeing some cooler days, that's probably what's wrong with him. He needs to be warm. Most of us provide a heated shelter for our tortoises that come from warm climates.

Take a look at the pinned threads at the top of our leopard section. You'll get a good idea of how you should be caring for your tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and leopard tortoises don't hibernate. You have to keep them warm in the winter.

jaimi

I wish I had this resource when we first got him! He has always had a heat source. But it's old and most likely too small. I have been searching threads (slow day at the office) and I'm thinking that our "night box" isn't sufficient any more. I was wondering why he was burrowing instead of sleeping in the box. Looks like we have a construction project in the near future.
I hope that will fix things. I'm still not seeing him out and about during the day, when it's warm...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish I had this resource when we first got him! He has always had a heat source. But it's old and most likely too small. I have been searching threads (slow day at the office) and I'm thinking that our "night box" isn't sufficient any more. I was wondering why he was burrowing instead of sleeping in the box. Looks like we have a construction project in the near future.
I hope that will fix things. I'm still not seeing him out and about during the day, when it's warm...

If he got cold enough to reach clear down into his inner core, it will take quite a bit of time, sitting in the sun or under a light, to warm all the way back up. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with him. Do you see him eat?

jaimi

It hasn't been that cold. And, no, he's not eating. It warms up during the day, but damp and cool at night. I found him burrowed in the bushes next to his house, now he's moved again, and it'll take some searching to find him. My concern is that he's usually very social, and he's not coming out at all.
I was worried a couple weeks ago, then he was back to normal until this past weekend

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try giving him daily soaks for a week or so. Find a tub with tall sides that he can't climb out of, but a small floor space and add enough warm water to come up to the middle of his sides and just leave him in there for at least 15 or 20 minutes daily. See if that perks him up a bit.