Baby Leopard - Strange Behaviour

HollieK

Location (City and/or State)
East Midlands, UK
Hi. I just wanted to ask some advice as Flint has been acting strange for a few days. He's normally quite chill but he's been charging around everywhere and knocking things over, he's also not eating really (I can't even tempt him with cactus) and I've only seen one poo and it was absolutely tiny and weirdly dry. I also found him on his side and he wasn't even trying to get back up so I'm really worried about him. I'm thinking of getting a worm test done but I don't know if it could have anything to do with worms? Everytime I've searched it says it's either egg laying or because he can see out of the side but neither of these apply. Does anybody have any idea? TIA :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What temperatures do you have warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?

How big is the enclosure floor area?

How big is Flint?

Photographs of the enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

For now I am thinking too hot, too small or something wrong with the enclosure

HollieK

East Midlands, UK
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I've increased his temps recently as advised as he had a bubbly nose. I just measured them now and his warm side is 36/37, cool 32, basking between 39/40 and overnight he has a che so lowest he gets really is 32. It's a bit cold recently and he lives in an outdoor shed/garage so that sometimes effects the temps. His enclosure is 120cmx60cm and he's around 3.8/9 inches. Here's a photo of his current setup.
IMG_3095.jpg

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Your temperatures are good, maybe even a little on the high side. Keep it humid in there, like 70% or more. Make sure you soak him daily until he gets better, could be dehydrating some if your temps are high and low humidity. Feed lettuce and whatever other foods he likes and watch for more normal poops. Not sure about the worms thing, but if he continues to get worse, you may need to find a reptile vet for some help.

HollieK

East Midlands, UK
Hi. Thanks for the reply! His humidity is always above 80% and I bathe him everyday as he's only a baby. He's stopped stomping round and is sleeping a lot and hiding in his shell whenever I get him out and still not really eating so I'm going to keep an eye on him for a few days and if things don't improve soon I'm going to take him to the vet. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you reading the temps with? Those disc type things the pet stores sell are not reliable at all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your temperatures are a bit warm

Basking should be 35-37. Warm side 30.

A tortoise that warm will be be rocket powered and looking for somewhere to cool down. They do actively move from warm areas to cooler areas in order to thermoregulate.

If it's getting chilly at times, use a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat. It can be switched on 24/7 as the thermostat ensures it only cuts in when needed.

What bulb are you using for UVB? It looks like you may have a compact CFL type (looks like a low energy light bulb). These can cause eye problems with torts and we don't recommend them - if your tort's eyes are hurting that could be another reason for its behaviour.

HollieK

East Midlands, UK
Hi. Those are his normal temperatures but I've had to increase them a little bit as advised in my other thread because of the runny nose (which is clearing up now), I'm going to slowly reduce them once it's fully disappeared. I use a CHE at night as it's really cold outside anyway. His bulbs are an MVB and just an ordinary basking bulb for added heat, no coils as I know about they eye risk. [emoji4]