2 Baby Sulcatas on the way, need help with lighting

torts2017

Location (City and/or State)
mesa, az
I've got 2 baby sulcatas that I'm going to be picking up sometime next week.
I've got a 40g Breeder tank that I'm going to be using. I painted 6" of the lower section of the tank black so the tortoises cannot see through.

I've got pretty much everything figured out except lighting. I have a ZOO Med LF-31 desert heat and UVB combo deep dome fixture coming. Now I'm reading that T8 UVB fixtures are much better, and that the screw in type UVB bulbs can hurt the tortoises eyes. Is this true? Do I need a T8 strip light too or is what I have ordered sufficient?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Two tortoises do not do good together and will have to be separated if not now thrn real soon. One will bully the other.
The spiral screw in UVB bulbs are not good to use, they can cause eye damage. The mercury vapor bulbs that you screw in are fine. The double fixture you purchased is not the best to use. Better getting single ones. The flourescent is fine to use also. You will also need one or two ceramic heat emitters. You will be best to pick up only one tortoise or set up two enclosures. Read the care sheets under the sulcata section for closed chamber housing.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've got 2 baby sulcatas that I'm going to be picking up sometime next week.
I've got a 40g Breeder tank that I'm going to be using. I painted 6" of the lower section of the tank black so the tortoises cannot see through.

I've got pretty much everything figured out except lighting. I have a ZOO Med LF-31 desert heat and UVB combo deep dome fixture coming. Now I'm reading that T8 UVB fixtures are much better, and that the screw in type UVB bulbs can hurt the tortoises eyes. Is this true? Do I need a T8 strip light too or is what I have ordered sufficient?

Thanks!
It is very true that the coil bulbs are very bad for their eyes. Also, are you keeping the tortoises in the same enclosure? Tortoises are solitary creatures, and don't get along well with tank mates.
I personally use a strip uvb, but I think I've heard that the regular bulb ones (not coil/compact) are fine, but strips are better.

torts2017

mesa, az
OK,

So we will just get 1 tortoise then. So these CFL bulbs that Zoo med sells aren't good?

Sounds like I should get a strip UVB and then a ceramic heater on a clip on fixture then right? Or should I just use a basking bulb for heat?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
OK,

So we will just get 1 tortoise then. So these CFL bulbs that Zoo med sells aren't good?

Sounds like I should get a strip UVB and then a ceramic heater on a clip on fixture then right? Or should I just use a basking bulb for heat?
You will almost definitely, unless your house is 80+ degrees at night, get a ceramic heat emitter for night heat. You can't keep the light on at night because tortoises need darkness to sleep :). So yes, you will need both. And no, the cfl bulbs aren't good. Don't get any light that's a coil. I would recommend the reptisun 10.0

torts2017

mesa, az
Well the home is 75 all day long. So all I will need is the strip UVB, and a ceramic heater?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Basking bulb is good for daylight/basking area for your young Sully. You will need a CHE on a thermostat that will maintain your overall enclosed temperatures day and night. It's your CHE (no light) , coupled with a thermostat, that maintains the overall temperature gradient for your tort.

You want to get rid of the clip on feature, and mount your CHE in the center of your enclosure so it emanates the heat equally throughout your enclosed enclosure.

Basking bulb will be on a timer, coming on early morning, turning off later.