3 month old Herman

Kristin96

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hi guys! So I just got my baby from Repticon Miami from a great breeder. He’s been home for about 4 days. I named him Lorenzo Pistachio and I adore him! His routine so far constist of waking up around 9 am, I give him a bath and he usually does a poop and I mist him and let him sun bathe while I admire him for about 20 minutes, then I feed him his musuri tortoise food mixed with romane lettuce and a small piece of cabbage and a dash of calcium, he eats about 15 minutes then plays with his food I see, then I put him back in his home and he just digs away under his tunnel that’s in the sun and sleeps until the next day! We just keep repeating this so far it’s only been a couple days I just want to make sure him sleeping allllll day is completely normal. Trying my best to keep him as happy as can be. I would love any advice and knowledge from anyone! Have a great day !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps, humidity, lighting and heating being used, substrate and size of enclosure and what type of enclosure, table or enclosed chamber?
He should be fed enough food he can graze off and on all day should he want too. Cabbage should not be part of the diet. He also needs more proper items added to the diet.
He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, basking area with incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100 and the rest of the enclosure 75-80. All lights off at night with temps in the 70's. No coil, halogen or mercury vapor bulbs should be used.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, babies do sleep a lot but with the proper environment, he should wander a bit more.

Kristin96

Miami
What are the temps, humidity, lighting and heating being used, substrate and size of enclosure and what type of enclosure, table or enclosed chamber?
He should be fed enough food he can graze off and on all day should he want too. Cabbage should not be part of the diet. He also needs more proper items added to the diet.
He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, basking area with incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100 and the rest of the enclosure 75-80. All lights off at night with temps in the 70's. No coil, halogen or mercury vapor bulbs should be used.
Thank you! So he’s outdoor I have half the home in sunlight and half in the shade I’m waiting to receive my thermostat today for exact temperature but I live in miami were humidity is about 75-80% daily and 85-95° during the day. I will remove cabbage from the diet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! So he’s outdoor I have half the home in sunlight and half in the shade I’m waiting to receive my thermostat today for exact temperature but I live in miami were humidity is about 75-80% daily and 85-95° during the day. I will remove cabbage from the diet
The best way to raise a hatchling is to keep it in a closed chamber so temps and humidity can be controlled.
For what you are doing, is there plenty of cover so the baby feels safe? Adding tortoise safe plants will help a lot. You could even plant lettuces, pothos, Boston ferns, mulberry, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, do more bushes than trees, you want lower cover.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He shouldn't have calcium every day - just a very small pinnch once a week., and maybe twice a week as he gets bigger.
Angie