46"×46" big enough?

Emily Deshar

I have. Redfooted tortoise who is now only 11 months so she is only 4 inches. I have been looking at getting z bigger enclosure soon. My husband plans on building her one this summer, but he has never built anything before..lol I found a mini green house that is 3ft 10in by 3ft 10in. Would that be big enough for when she is an adult?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180122-130612.png
    Screenshot_20180122-130612.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Emily,

I don't see where in the world you are, that influences one of two points.

Point one is I would say that is too small for an adult redfoot, but maybe not.

Point two is with it being so small the range of temps that may occur (if outside) is pretty big for one minute with cloud cover the to next without (full direct sun). The smaller the volume of an enclosure the greater temp and humidity changes that can inside the greenhouse for an outside space. If this were set up in an inside space where the inside space is pretty uniform year round that is less of a concern.

As an outside enclosure pretty risky, as an interior enclosure it would be large enough for some time, but an adult would be cramped in there. That said, I do keep adult Kinixys erosa in a 2 foot 4 foot area, but that is inside so I have good climate control. Redfoots are more active on average than K. erosa I think.

If your open to the idea it may work, but you may need something bigger at some point, or get another one of the same and connect them it looks like a good inside enclosure.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I have. Redfooted tortoise who is now only 11 months so she is only 4 inches. I have been looking at getting z bigger enclosure soon. My husband plans on building her one this summer, but he has never built anything before..lol I found a mini green house that is 3ft 10in by 3ft 10in. Would that be big enough for when she is an adult?
Thanks in advance!

Its too small. If you have the space, build one out of plywood. I am currently building a new duplex. Its 8x2.

Emily Deshar

Hi Emily,

I don't see where in the world you are, that influences one of two points.

Point one is I would say that is too small for an adult redfoot, but maybe not.

Point two is with it being so small the range of temps that may occur (if outside) is pretty big for one minute with cloud cover the to next without (full direct sun). The smaller the volume of an enclosure the greater temp and humidity changes that can inside the greenhouse for an outside space. If this were set up in an inside space where the inside space is pretty uniform year round that is less of a concern.

As an outside enclosure pretty risky, as an interior enclosure it would be large enough for some time, but an adult would be cramped in there. That said, I do keep adult Kinixys erosa in a 2 foot 4 foot area, but that is inside so I have good climate control. Redfoots are more active on average than K. erosa I think.

If your open to the idea it may work, but you may need something bigger at some point, or get another one of the same and connect them it looks like a good inside enclosure.

Yes it is for inside. I have heard that it is too small. My husband is going to build a big table. I want an L shape one, 3'x8' and 3'x5' or so. Thanks