60's and wet weather during the summer

Mike05

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hey there. Haven't posted in a while. Just curious on every one's thoughts in reference to the temperature getting down to the mid to upper 60's over night when it's in the 80's during the day, but it has also been raining on a regular basis so the outside enclosure has not been able to dry out at all. My tortoises seem to love it recently but it's all of a sudden getting into the 60's at night. What is every one's thoughts?

One tortoise has dug a mud hole and burrows into the mud every night where the other goes into its house every night with a solid flooring and sphagnum moss in it.

Do you take them in for the night and take them out during the day while it gets down to the 60s at night while its wet or do you leave them out since its still getting into the 80's during the day?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

P

pguinpro

I would try and replicate their natural environment, where ever they come from, you could also order some heat panels for use inside their hide to increase night temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would close them up in their heated night boxes at night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cold and wet makes a sick or dead tortoise. Give them a heated night box too sleep in. The 80's and wet isn't bad.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey there. Haven't posted in a while. Just curious on every one's thoughts in reference to the temperature getting down to the mid to upper 60's over night when it's in the 80's during the day, but it has also been raining on a regular basis so the outside enclosure has not been able to dry out at all. My tortoises seem to love it recently but it's all of a sudden getting into the 60's at night. What is every one's thoughts?

One tortoise has dug a mud hole and burrows into the mud every night where the other goes into its house every night with a solid flooring and sphagnum moss in it.

Do you take them in for the night and take them out during the day while it gets down to the 60s at night while its wet or do you leave them out since its still getting into the 80's during the day?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Our adult Redfoots, both Northerns and Cherryheads, are out through most of September into October if the weather remains favorably mild, with some brisk nights in. And like yours during this wet summer, some settle into mud wallows overnight. We are north of you in the mid-Atlantic and don't bring them in until it drops consistently into the 50s at night and does not spring back into the 60s or 70s the following day. There are risks in prolonged periods of cool and wet but redfoots adaptive ability is vastly underrated. This is duck weather. Redfoots love it. 85 today with late cloudbursts, mostly sunny low 80s next three days or so, low 60s overnight, then back to daytime 90s next week.
If your tortoises have not been subjected to temperatures under 60 because that is the standard advice, go with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doesn't matter to me what species it is, or what the temperature is, all my tortoises are closed up in their shelters at night.