A couple ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
:)Maybe somebody can help me with this debate:

I have a beautiful 6 inch 6-year-old female leopard tortoise in an indoor enclosure that measures 3' by 5'. I've been thinking about purchasing a companion leopard baby to live in the same enclosure.
Would it be unwise to house a brand new baby leopard with my current leopard? :tort:

Side question: Do torts (specifically leopards) enjoy or benefit at all from living with another of their kind? Like as good company? :tort: Perhaps one tortoise might not pace the cage out of boredom so often? :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Doesn't matter what species, all new tortoises must be quarantined from the existing tortoises for a certain time period. I like 6 months. Some go for shorter periods, some longer.

Tortoises in the wild prefer to be alone. That way they don't have to compete for the best hiding places or for the food.

Usually pacing is not done from boredom, but for other reasons...too small of a habitat, trying to escape, uncomfortable habitat...etc. Boredom usually shows up as a depressed tortoise that hides all the time.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it were me, I wouldn't do it based on the size of the enclosure. Opinions will vary on the subject of course, but I think a 3*5 enclosure is too small for even one tortoise that size. Let alone two.

I don't think there is any evidence that leopard tortoises benefit from interacting with other tortoises. They are found in small groups from time to time, but it's likely due to necessity (a drought for example eliminating areas shade and food) rather than socialization.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your help everyone! I'm going to work on building her a larger enclosure.

As well as holding off on buying a second leopard.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I agree your enclosure is way too small for a tort that size. I have 3 adult leopards and they will interact in the yard but for the most part each has claimed their own section and they split up each night to sleep in their own areas. You can get another leo but you need to be careful of the size difference, especially since yours is becoming an adult. There will be bullying if you put a small tort in with the big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.