A few indoor Dirt Questions

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Recently changed from mulch to dirt in our indoor enclosure. Shoveled some up from outside and put it in. We have a yard not treated for anything so that's all safe. And Franklins been digging up a storm!

I sprinkled some old clover and dandelion seeds in on the off chance he wouldn't destroy them while they grow (some are surviving lol)

Since the soil came from outside there are bugs and stuff (these don't seem to bother him like the mulch ones did) But I've seen a few ants. I'm pretty sure the ants are safe since they crawl I saw one crawl over his head while he slept and he wasn't bothered. But either way I don't like the ants, I've heard people mention they put in "Pill bugs" to eat up other bugs in enclosures. What are these? Where would I catch some and how? and would they take care of ants? Theres only a couple ants I see here and there, not like an infestation but i'd just rather not deal with ants (they creep me out, we had a carpenter ant infestation a few years ago and they'd crawl over my face as I slept!!:eek: so i'm just a bit sour toward any ants now a days)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Pill bugs = roly polies, woodlice. They like damp places, usually under any object outside.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Yes roley polies or potato bugs as we called them as kids. Grey and lots of legs. They can roll into balls :).

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Pill bugs = roly polies, woodlice. They like damp places, usually under any object outside.
I ended up having to look it up (no idea why I didn't just do that before...:rolleyes:)
Yes roley polies or potato bugs as we called them as kids. Grey and lots of legs. They can roll into balls :).
I don't know if I've seen such bugs around, we have "grubs" tha hide under stuff in our yard that are grey lots of legs and similar in every way but they're more flat looking and I don't think I've ever seen one curl to a ball... are these maybe babies? I can probably go find one when I get home and try to get a picture up, since my description probably helps none:confused:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

Oh goodness I looked up "grub" curious if that's what the things i'm talking about actually are such a name... im a bit traumatized grubs are scary!!

The bugs we have look a little like this but a lighter grey. http://cdn.discoverwildlife.com/sites/default/files/images/DSCF3190.JPG I'm thinking they're the right bugs just younger... though i'm kinda scared about having bugs that'll grow large in there too, they pretty much stay buried and keep to themselves right?

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Oh goodness I looked up "grub" curious if that's what the things i'm talking about actually are such a name... im a bit traumatized grubs are scary!!

The bugs we have look a little like this but a lighter grey. http://cdn.discoverwildlife.com/sites/default/files/images/DSCF3190.JPG I'm thinking they're the right bugs just younger... though i'm kinda scared about having bugs that'll grow large in there too, they pretty much stay buried and keep to themselves right?

Yes thats it :)! They don't get very big and the torts will hunt them.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yes thats it :)! They don't get very big and the torts will hunt them.
It's ok that he'll hunt them being a Russian? Just making sure but I'm guessing it is since its small amounts. I'll try to scoop some up this weekend, is there anything I should make sure they get to keep them alive? I mean bugs and water seem like it's all they need. Also I have a logic where it's dirt so if I bury left over food scraps they'll degrade and just make more dirt. .. is that a valid belief?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The pill bugs will help with the left over food, but adding worms to the soil will help even more.