A few new hatchling cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Haven't posted for a while and so I thought I would throw up some recent hatchling photos. June was a pretty good month...
DSC04369.jpg

But one from this group of three had a nucal scute like one that hatched earlier this year. Notice the top hatchling with the small nucal.
DSC04371.jpg

The nucal scute on this hatchling is identical to the one that hatched before and it is also from the same pair of adults. As both scutes are symmetrical and uniform in size and shape I can only conclude that they are not deformities nor related to incubation. Still, it is a head scratcher.
A few really nice colored ones have appeared too.
DSC04269.jpg

DSC04308.jpg

The good thing is that I still have a bunch of eggs that look good and I should be getting hatching well into the fall.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
aww!
Congrats!
They're adorable!

My RFT hatchling has a nuchal scute as well.
You can see it here:
3658195218_7c306484a8.jpg

I got my little one from Turtletary.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nice to see you back! And you brought us gifts in the form of pictures of some cuties!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I hate to appear dumb as to what a nucal scute is., but is that the little tiny one in the front on Chewbecca pic.. Looks like a teardrop??

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nay- yes, the 'nuchal' is the scute right behind the head. The weird things is that Red-foots don't usually have them. In fact, if I remember right, no South American tortoise should have one.

Hmmm, so if we toss out incubation, is it genetic? Does either parent have one? Are both parents the same race or morph, or whatever we are calling it this year?

Interesting torts, and gorgeous to boot!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins007 said:
Hmmm, so if we toss out incubation, is it genetic? Does either parent have one? Are both parents the same race or morph, or whatever we are calling it this year?

In my case neither parent has the nuchal scute and in fact, I think I have only seen one other redfoot that had a nuchal before. At least I can't remember ever seeing more than one---and I have seen thousands of imported and captive raised redfoots.
Both parents are of the same morph and were (allegedly) imported from the same region of Brazil. I have had both animals for over 12 years and they have produced close to 200 hatchlings in the past 10 years. It IS possible that they might have produced other hatchlings with nuchal scutes in the past and that I simply didn't notice them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
cdmay they are beautiful hatchlings. Congratulations on those and more to come.

Mike Pingleton

5 Year Member
Those are some pretty hatchlings, Carl. I always like looking at 'breakout' photos :) Interesting, that bonus nuchal.
-Mike

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Mike Pingleton said:
Those are some pretty hatchlings, Carl. I always like looking at 'breakout' photos :) Interesting, that bonus nuchal.
-Mike

Thanks Mike. Yep, breakout photos are cool.
9303face-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.