A House Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
wow i just read everyone's post. IMO i find it hard enough to kid proof my house every time i think i'm in the clear and kids can't get to anything they shouldn't i turn around and there they have found something they shouldn't. i also have cats and all though my older cat wouldn't go near the tortoise's i would still worry about that one curious moment and what would happen. i have from time to time brought my tortoises (not my box turtles) out to show off and let them roam the floor with my kids and others sitting around watching as tortoises are not a comment pet i enjoy doing this as i can educate my family and friends before they jump the gun to go buy one. i never let any of my tortoises roam the floor any longer then an hour and never unsupervised. a key factor i think most might have missed is that during the colder times or even a cool day as doors are being opened and closed there is always the chance of the tortoise catching that draft/cold air witch can lead to respiratory infections, or other issues. now if you are able to eliminate the drafts provide the right temps and humidity in house as well as ensure the safety and well being then all the power to you XD

a bit of a rand i apologize but just my thoughts on the topic i could be wrong it has been known to happen :p

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
Respectfully ;)...most members of the general public and probably not even most members of this forum, are not willing to go to that much trouble of making their house "tortoise-friendly."

I'm doing it now, hahaa.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
That's great, but I'm in the same boat as Rover: I have a 22-month-old and an 10-month old, and we have a hard enough time child-proofing the house! Worrying about "tortoise-proofing" the house, in top of keeping said tortoises away from toddlers....Eeesh! I'll let natural sunshine, humidity and the ample space of my backyard take some of my concerns away.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
We have a hermanns he's coming up to 7 and he used to hate being kept in his table and constantly try to escape...so we cleared out an area and turned it into Horace's home..(the pics only missing his water dish) and he then has access to the kitchen with hard wood floor and outdoor areas straight from there when it's warm enough :)

DSCF2724.JPG

But we also have a three yr old russian lola in a tortoise table 5 x 2.5 ft which she really likes and she would hate to be kept free roaming as she isnt very sociable (unless you are bringing food) and she is a bit shy of people :)

DSCF2710.JPG

DSC_0120.jpg

I think it can depend on the tortoise but tortoise proofing has took a lot of work around the kitchen, but as there are no other pets or children around it has been easier than it could have been...
but if we lived in america like you guys he'd be outside in a purpose area as I believe that is the best...but unfortunately english weather wont allow it and for Horace being able to roam a large area is important, so for him this is second best...whereas for lola her enclosure is the best and even when shes an adult she will have a huge enclosure :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I wouldn't let my torts roam my house as I don't want them to pee and poo everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.