A new guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jroops

5 Year Member
Hey guys, just adopted a Russian from work yesterday so I'm here trying to do my research and make sure I can provide a good life for it. I have other reptiles so I know some stuff but its good to get others opinions and to be able to share ideas. I currently have a bearded dragon that I am constantly feeding kale, collard greens, broccoli, carrots, banana, apple so I figured I could pick up a couple other things and make a larger portion for both of them. He came to me in a tupperware container and that's no way to live, so today I built him an outdoor table. I live in FL so the weather is warm enough that I thought it would be happier outside. I do have space for a larger inclosure that I'm thinking of making for day time roaming but sometimes we have bad storms and a table I can move undercover or inside if need be. I do have pictures but they are on my phone.

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
Hi. I have a couple of Russians too but they are new to me also. Good news is that if its info you need, this is where to get it! Basically these guys are not supposed to get much fruit at all. An occasional celebratory berry or apple chunk is about it I think so don't give him that on a daily basis. Broadleaf plants/weeds are best and they like variety. They are AMAZING escape artist so watch your corners for sure! They love to dig too. You will find all the info you need here about heat and humidity. I'm in AZ so I struggle with the humidity but folks on this site have the know how for sure. Read everything! You won't be bored:) Have fun! Torts are supercoolfunaddictivewonderfulawesomepets!!!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Good for you to take him in. Russians eat dark leafy greens, sedums, Optunia (prickly pear) cactus and weeds. Once a month you can give them a carrot to help trim their beak. Occasionally some Prickly pear fruit.
Do not give them fruits or veggies like beans, corn, etc.

Here is a good site for more information on housing (sounds like you have some good ideas), diet, and care. Being outside (even during rainstorms if they have a dry spot or house to stay in) is the very best for them.
http://russiantortoise.net/

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome! As already stated don't give your Russian fruit. Kale and collard greens are good, but you will want to add other greens, like mustard, dandelion, clover, plantain, etc. Squash is good too, but not zucchini.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
The absolute easiest thing to do is spring mix without the spinach, but go ahead and mix in kale and collard greens and any other plants Spn785 mentioned.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
FYI The spring mix should not make up the majority of a Russians diet. The spring mix should be a fourth to a third of their diet. A majority of their diet should be weeds like dandelion, clover, plantain, etc. If you want to use spring mix as the base for a diet, you will probably need to add a supplement like TNT.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new pet! Your tortoise is lucky to get to live outside... make sure you provide shade in the tortoise table - be aware of where the sun is in the course of the day.

Looks like you already got some great advice concerning feeding. I also highly recommend the link Lynne mentioned (www.russiantortoise.net) - if you follow the instructions and edible plant list, you will have a happy, healthy tortoise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.