Abnormal scutes...

sulcata2014

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I personally believe that a "zippered scute" tortoise will grow up to be just fine! I wonder if the calcium, potassium, etc. levels in the mother at time of conception play a role? This does seem highly likely. I also believe that genetics may play a small role b/c those genes can be passed down, be suppressed or even skip a generation as they do in humans!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, very interesting looking! I actually really like the pattern :D
I don't know, maybe higher temperatures do cuase strange scute formation.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
One of my sulcata baby's have this same pattern and she is perfectly fine. She acts just like the "perfect" scute ones. Only difference between her and the others that I notice is that she is more friendly with me and she has a never ending appetite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 33

RGB

5 Year Member
One of my sulcata baby's have this same pattern and she is perfectly fine. She acts just like the "perfect" scute ones. Only difference between her and the others that I notice is that she is more friendly with me and she has a never ending appetite.
Very cool!!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Very cool!!
I had found one that had this pattern the whole length of the shell but some other lucky person got it before I could. I love the pattern and keep my eye out for more like it. I love the unique ones. (And the fact they are discounted) if I was in market for a hermann, I would attempt to snap her up. Someone will I'm sure.