Accidentally ate coco husk!

Dino_White

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi guys,

I am still new here and bought baby Leopard Tortoise 1 month ago.

It was really healthy and ate a lot, until few days ago its appetite has decreased.
It usually can eat 1 whole leaf, but now it just ate a little and just walk away, I tried to hand fed and it helps a little.
today as I pay attention, it accidentally ate the coco husk.

I assume it has happened before.

has anybody encounter this kind of problem before?
any suggestion on what should I do?

Today I have removed all the coco husk leaving just the rubber carpet.

:(

Any suggestion will be helpful thank you :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps? A baby should be fed more then a leaf. They should also be fed a wide variety. My hatchlings which are now 8 months old are fed a handful several times a day for then four hatchlings now two left. Yours should be fed a handful in the morning and if he eats it all then given more. The temps are important for digestion and humidity for smooth growth.
Give us all the info you can think of about his enclosure, temps, humidity, etc.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Dino_White

Indonesia
Cocoa husk does not have an impaction risk for your tortoise. What kind of leads is it??

Hi Cooper Horn.

It's these kind of leaf, sometimes I added Calcium powder to it.

Siomak.jpg Fumak.jpg

So baby Leopard tortoise is okay when they accidentally ate substrate like this?

coco-husk-chips-500x500.jpg

Thanks for the reply :)

Dino_White

Indonesia
What are your temps? A baby should be fed more then a leaf. They should also be fed a wide variety. My hatchlings which are now 8 months old are fed a handful several times a day for then four hatchlings now two left. Yours should be fed a handful in the morning and if he eats it all then given more. The temps are important for digestion and humidity for smooth growth.
Give us all the info you can think of about his enclosure, temps, humidity, etc.

Hi Wellington,

The temperature is between 28 C (82.4 F) - 33 C (91.4 F) . Yes, I just learned to give variety of food and leaf everyday. it's a big leaf, like lettuce leaf. I used to give a lot of meal in the morning and at night, but because of that the baby tortoise will be sleeping all day long, it will be awake only for meal time and not being active. isn't it a bad thing?? I soak it in warm water twice a day with warm water. 2 days ago, I begun to give reptile booster in its drink, which is suppose to help its digestion problem and increase it's appetite. today I tried pellets for its food, the baby ate it but not so much though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking spot needs to be 95-100F. Babies eat and sleep. They don't do a whole lot other then that. They may wonder some but if they are wondering across the enclosure to eat and then wondering back across to their resting spot, they don't do a whole lot more. Get the basking spot up and get humidity to 80%. Make sure your temps are never lower then 80F day and night.