Accidentally ate Moon cactus!

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
I set mogali down while getting his soak ready and when I turned around he was munching on a moon cactus stem that he knocked down. He ate a good amount of its side.

I purchased the cactus I want to say about a month ago and it has been planted in natural soil but I am very worried that mogali will be effected by any fertilizer and the moon cactus itself. I can't seem to find any information about if it's edible or not.

Mogali is a DT he is about 10 months old.

Who ever said tortoises are too slow has never met mine he gets in all sorts of trouble! He is just too quick.

gabby.santana

California
I gave him Romaine lettuce right now I'm hoping that kinda helps with flushing out his system is there anything else I can give him?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Not sure about the moon cactus but I think they graft it on top of some type of havortias??... If so, havortias are not good for torts, but I don't really know what I'm talking about here. Perhaps @Yvonne G looks at this....romain should be fine

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They use quite a few different kinds of cactus for the base to be grafted upon. Unless we can see a picture, we won't know if it's edible or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like a Hylocereus. It's not toxic.