Adopting two Russian torts

swatsx

5 Year Member
So after years of wanting a tortoise I am getting two free on Thursday right now the owner feeds from what I understand only romaine lettuce I'm doing my research to give them the best care I can it's going to be a male and female about 3-4 years old any tips would be greatly appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You may have to continue feeding romaine and slowly introduce better more nutritious greens while slowly, over time reducing the amount of romaine.

swatsx

5 Year Member
I'll do that, should I do like a baby a slowly feed new foods one at a time?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would get a variety of foods and Romain and chop it up small and mix it together. Also, to Russians should not be kept together. You will need to separate enclosures. Tortoises don't want friends. They do better alone overall. And pears almost never works out. Welcome to the forum, and I know you will enjoy your new tortoises.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Is the substrate their on ok? Or should I do sand and coco core mix

swatsx

5 Year Member
Now if I did want to try and breed them do I just introduce them to each other a little bit every day? Since keeping them in the same cage could lead to her death

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would think so. But I think somebody with experience reading Russian tortoises should answer that. @Tom I know there are more people I just can't think of their names right now. But Tom can point you towards others. If you could get a group of one male and 2or 3 or more females they might be able to stay together. But even then you might have one or two that have to be separated.