advice needed about my new tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz1207

5 Year Member
hi,i got a lovey spur thighed tortoise for mothes day but am a bit worried about her as she does not seem to have eaten or drunk much since i had her,i had her outside in a hutch like home with her sleeping section one side with hay and substrate,food and water the other with plenty of room for her to get about,she has also got a big run for nice days,on the first morning of having her i went to change her water and food and she had buried herself to the bottom of the hay and was very cold to touch but se soon woke up and was fine during the day however we brought he house indoors last nite as i thought it may be to cold for her outside at the moment,she is now not so cold to touch but has still not eaten much and seems to want to just stay in her hay,she came out for a bit earlier but just does not seem to be doing much,she is 2 yrs old and was kept outside at the breeders where i got her from.does anyone have any advice.
thanks
karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Karen:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Are we talking about a Greek tortoise?

Sometimes is takes a couple weeks for a tortoise to get used to his new home. Just make sure he's warm enough and give him some time. What kinds of foods are you offering him?

kaz1207

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Karen:

Welcome to the forum!!

Sometimes is takes a couple weeks for a tortoise to get used to his new home. Just make sure he's warm enough and give him some time. What kinds of foods are you offering him?

hiya,

i am in england and she is a spur thighed tortoise,i have been offering her cabbage,tomatoes and apple. do u think it wud be worth putting in some sort of heatlamp? should i put her back outside in her house which is like a rabbit hutch or keep her indoors in her house and see how she goes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises won't eat if they can't get warm enough to digest their food. So, she probably needs a lamp to warm up.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Karen :) Welcome to the TFO do you have any pic's of her you can post?

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
I live in the uk and i know here in Wales at the moment the whether has been quite chilly, i doubt very much that the tort has been warm enough, i would definitely build the tort an indoor enclosure for the colder weather, making sure that the tort can get enough heat from a heat lamp and also you will need to make sure he is getting uvb, i use the combi bulb, which gives out heat and uvb. o and welcome to the forum : )

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
kaz1207 said:
emysemys said:
Hi Karen:

Welcome to the forum!!

hiya,

i am in england and she is a spur thighed tortoise,i have been offering her cabbage,tomatoes and apple. do u think it wud be worth putting in some sort of heatlamp? should i put her back outside in her house which is like a rabbit hutch or keep her indoors in her house and see how she goes.

Hi and welcome to TFO

No toms, cabbage or apple,

Anything that is green leaves, dandelions hibiscus flower and leaf, rose petals, rocket salad, hawkeye, etc,etc have a look at the feeding thread on the forum,

Definitely get some heat in there,
What sort of spur thigh is it?
May we have a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.