Advice needed please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachhh!

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey, Im Rach and own a 2 year old hermanns tortoise.

I was looking for some advice on the shell as I have recently noticed that there is a ring around the top of her shell. She has grown recently, is this just where new shell has formed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D

Rach x

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can you please provide a picture of this? if you dont know how, please let me know.

simply you can go to www.tinypic.com, upload the picture there, and then copy and paste the link that says "forum" into the body of your post here on tortoiseforum.org.

thank you for your concern about your tortoise and we are here to help you.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Yep, a that's a growth ring. Just monitor it for growth that is too rapid, which can be unhealthy.

Rachhh!

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey, thanks for the quick replies :)

Here is a picture:
miot55.jpg

It is the darker part toward the bottom, It didnt used to be there!

Hope its nothing bad :(

Thanks,
Rach x

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Rach im sure many will be able to put ur mind at rest ere.:)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Rach,
Welcome to the forum :D What your seeing is new growth and nothing to worry about.
What I would be worried about is that all the new growth is where it is and not much anywhere else. Each scute plate should grow pretty evenly. You should have a humid hide for your Hermanns. Cut a plastic plant pot in half (top to bottom). On the inside glue a thin sponge to the top. Keep the sponge damp and you have a humid hide. :D
Until than just put some vasoline on the seams between the scutes on her carapace. That will help loosen them up so they can grow more evenly.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Hi Rach,
Welcome to the forum :D What your seeing is new growth and nothing to worry about.
What I would be worried about is that all the new growth is where it is and not much anywhere else. Each scute plate should grow pretty evenly. You should have a humid hide for your Hermanns. Cut a plastic plant pot in half (top to bottom). On the inside glue a thin sponge to the top. Keep the sponge damp and you have a humid hide. :D
Until than just put some vasoline on the seams between the scutes on her carapace. That will help loosen them up so they can grow more evenly.

Danny

Hello Danny

Could I use non toxic sillicone to glue the sponge to the top of the hide?

Rachhh!

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, found it very helpful :D

I have got a pot of vaseline so will start using that, and am currently making a new habitat for my tortoise so will use the plant pot idea!

Thanks again,
Rach x

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes you can Isa. :D Just make sure it's cured before you put it in the enclosure as it gives off some strong fumes until it does.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Yes you can Isa. :D Just make sure it's cured before you put it in the enclosure as it gives off some strong fumes until it does.

Danny

Thanks Danny :D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I also found taking a small bolt and nut works, that way they can be changed, plus mine use to get knocked off by bigger torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.