Advice please (eggs hatching)

Babyhart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello all
Much to my surprise our eggs we had in the incubator from our Hermanns has started to hatch. This is the first time we have done this as our Hermanns was a rescue. We are monitoring but it’s still in the shell after 24hrs with head out only. Temp on 30c and humidity 80. Do we continue at this now it’s hatching?
We have a indoor enclosure ready but understand from reading that I will need to keep him in the incubator until the egg sack has been absorbed. There are 2 other eggs in the incubator- do I leave them there and wait until the hole closes before I put him in the enclosure?
Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a UV bulb ready.
I live in the UK

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Congrats! I've only done this once so far but this is what I was taught from more experienced breeders. Just let him do his thing, it'll come out eventually. When that one comes out move it to a separate small container from the other eggs. Use damp paper towels in that container and keep this container with him in the incubator. Once the yolk sac is absorbed and the Plastron is closed in a couple days then move it to the enclosure. Same process if the others hatch. Definitely keep us updated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Hatching is a process, not an event. :)

First read this:

Then read this one. Its a different species, but gives you much more detail and pictures.

Babyhart

UK
Thankyou so much- I will use a small container to put him in inside the incubator. Just checking lined with paper towel or vermiculite?

Babyhart

UK
Hi he is hatched, how does this look?

Attachments

• 05C18B58-2297-4879-AB41-DA4582DF63A1.jpeg
    05C18B58-2297-4879-AB41-DA4582DF63A1.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou so much- I will use a small container to put him in inside the incubator. Just checking lined with paper towel or vermiculite?
You can do damp paper towels on day one, but you need to switch to edible leaves after that. I use grape leave, mulberry leaves, or broadleaf plantain leaves. Squash leaves, collard greens, and even romaine could work, but be sure to introduce lots of good foods at this stage.