ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Wow, would love to see how you got him back over! How many folks does it take?

~ Alfa is just over 550 pounds, all i did was push him slightly to one side and he used his front leg to actually leverage himself back over easily. I actually assisted him back down once he righted himself, simply as a precautionary measure to ensure him not hurting his legs etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3218.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Does this happen very often? What do you think happened? And how did you get him flipped back over?

~ Unsure, based on the location and time of the event my best guess is it was a result involving a mating event!

Attachments

• IMG_6363.JPG
    588.2 KB · Views: 49

ben awes

5 Year Member
~ Alfa is just over 550 pounds, all i did was push him slightly to one side and he used his front leg to actually leverage himself back over easily. I actually assisted him back down once he righted himself, simply as a precautionary measure to ensure him not hurting his legs etc.
Thanks Greg, yes the "way down" was my concern. 550 pounds tipping from the side to all fours is still a potential significant impact!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thanks Greg, yes the "way down" was my concern. 550 pounds tipping from the side to all fours is still a potential significant impact!

~ That was my concern, we always take the safest route with them. I am 6'5" and very strong, leveraging him back over is very simple for me, however truly any normal size of a person should be able to just push a large male, simply tipping them to one side, and allow them to get a leg to touch the ground and they can usually get back over by themselves. I always assist them back over with resistance to ensure they land slowly and safely in order to minimize the impact and possible injury, especially the legs! When this happens i am usually without staff and never have captured the uprighting on camera or film!