Aldabras drinking in the rain

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Today was the first day we have had rain in about three weeks and our Aldabras were acting like they were dying of thirst. They have had the same water dish for three years, located in the same spot in their enclosure. A few weeks ago I did move the dish about 4 feet over to make room for a kiddie pool with the side cut off so they could get in and soak themselves. I don't know if they were drinking from the dish after I moved it. I have only seen them drink a few times in the last three years.

Their morning started off rough. The rain forced some fire ants into their night box and the ants were irritating them. As soon as I went out to check on them I noticed one of them trying to drink out of tiny puddles with his nose. I moved their water dish closer to them and two of them drank an astonishing amount of water. I had to refill the bowl several times. I just checked on them with the cameras and one is still trying to drink but the bowl is empty again now.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this in an Aldabra? I know that water isn't a plentiful resource where they come from so this seems like it might be a natural response.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Actually the Seychelles is an extremely wet place with lots of rain year-round. They average 86" of rain a year!! Every month averages from a min of just over 3" of rain in July and with January averaging 15" of rain.

Rain, or a shower with a hose, almost always stimulates most all tortoises to drink.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Actually the Seychelles is an extremely wet place with lots of rain year-round. They average 86" of rain a year!! Every month averages from a min of just over 3" of rain in July and with January averaging 15" of rain.

Rain, or a shower with a hose, almost always stimulates most all tortoises to drink.

I hose them down just about every day and I have never once seen them seek out water after. This is probably the first time I have ever watched them in the rain though. Usually they are already in their nightbox when we get our typical afternoon showers.