Aloe vera for star & soaking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
How often can you give aloe vera to star tort? My tort loves them and I want to know if it's ok to give them and how much should i give? I usually just give her about 3 inches every other day or sometimes 2 times a week, I was afraid it might be bad for them?

soaking question- My tort didn't want to soak before, i had to always put her in the water, but she never voluntarily goes in and drink or soak. I changed her "pool" 3 days ago, and she now voluntarily goes there to soak and drink every late afternoon. (for 3 days now). Is that an ok behavior for them? I'm afraid of her catching a cold..I did place the "pool" below the warm light. She soaks for 30 mins or more, I tried to remove her from the water but she goes back in. Last night, she soak for almost 45 mins before coming out and going to sleep. - does this have anything to do with humidity?

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
im curious to hear sumone reply to that because i have aloe also that i fed once only a nibble and i got scared it might be bad and stopped offering it,but if its ok it would be cool to add a peice to my routine diet i got going on i already feed cactus.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Aloe is good in moderation. Too much will make for runny stools. Soakig is fine, your tortoise will walk out if it isn't comfortable. As long as the temps are up, soaking for a while each day is a good thing in my opinion.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i believe soaking is very good for them everyday. my star always drinks and deficates when i soak him which is good for any tortoise. are you feeding your star more than just aloe vera?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
she eats hibiscus everyday and opuntia when she wants some. I also give variety of greens....she just loves aloe, so i was wondering if it's good then i'd give more...she's very finicky and very hard to find food she likes. She doesn't even like the bigger kind of Hibiscus, she only eats the small kind that grows in our country.

So for the soaking I'd leave her to her instincts or I should limit her soaking time?

samstar

5 Year Member
Let her decided how long she wants to soak, they know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.