Anoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have a long-term subbing position in a 4th grade classroom, and I just found out we're getting anoles in May...

Tell me everything you know about anoles :p
I'm kind of dreading it because I highly doubt the recommended care will meet my standards :rolleyes:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I failed with them as a kid.. so cant help you there.. but i would think.. now adays.. they would be pretty easy..

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I love anoles, but they can be challenging. Its sad really if you stop and think about the number of them that have been killed for years, because they're cheap, but not exactly easy to care for. I failed at some as a kid as well, and that haunted me after I learned the "right" way to do it.

In simple terms, keep them like a redfoot, but with more plants.

By memory they like mid eighties (but please double check that) with a gradient, and a fair amount of humidity.

Dirt or coco fiber was a good substrate for me. Lots of branches, both vertical and horizontal with lots of plants for plenty of things to climb on and take cover under. They like to bask on branches. Like many lizards won't usually drink from water, need misted for dew drops, or might have luck with moving water (waterfall).

Gut loaded crickets or probably even better, cockroaches for primary food.

That's what I remember working from my stint with them before they were adopted.... by somebody who promptly killed them. (She, an "expert", had been appalled by how I gave them no room to "run" with all those plants. She placed them in an open terrarium with pebble substrate and few if any plants or branches. I was really upset to find out they were all dead within a brief time... so that is a good example of how NOT to keep them if you ask me)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think the students will be learning about ecosystems, which is why we are setting up the habitats and getting anoles. I saw what look like small plastic shoeboxes, and unfortunately I think that's what we're housing them in...

I will definitely read up on them. Thanks for your comments!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
That sounds like something we did in the third grade, but heck that was the stone ages, they don't still do that do they?

If I remember right, first we planted some pea plants. Then we put them in the tiny shoe box terrarium with some aphids, saw that the aphids ate the plants.

Then we put crickets in there, they ate the plants too.

Then we put in the anoles, they ate the crickets, hehe.

Yes, it wasn't an ideal situation. Too small, too cold, no uv, etc.. at least the humidity was likely good.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Balboa said:
That sounds like something we did in the third grade, but heck that was the stone ages, they don't still do that do they?

Oh yes they do! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if we're doing the pea plant/aphid thing though...I don't know any details yet.
All I saw were the small plastic containers, and I'm supposed to put them on a counter next to the window...doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.